When you're hoping to breathe new life into your yard, the idea of nurturing a flourishing garden sounds like a great new hobby. But, when you only have a small outdoor area to work with, it can be a high-stakes endeavor. This self-paced, online course will guide you through the basics of garden design, plant selection, planting, maintaining your garden, and troubleshooting so that you can experience success and enjoy the natural environment you have created. Whether you're hoping to eat out of your garden or just enjoy the view, this course can help you get the most out of your small space.
Please note: Access to this course will be granted as soon as possible but may take up to 1 business day.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the function and importance of soil on plant growth
- Recognize the importance of choosing the right plant for your environment
- Differentiate among soil types
- Identify best practices for watering, mulching, and growing plants from seeds
- Recognize the importance of plants' light needs
- Explain design principles for small spaces and containers
- Explain the elements of square foot gardening
- Understand categories of plants and their role in garden design
- Explain how to successfully maintain a garden
- Know how to troubleshoot common gardening issues