Course Description"Ultimately, literature is nothing but carpentry," novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez once observed. "With both you are working with reality, a material just as hard as wood. Both are full of tricks and techniques." This writing-intensive course takes a hands-on approach to the craft of storytelling, exploring the tools, materials, and mechanics used to construct powerful narratives, whether fictional (novels, short stories) or factual (memoir, personal essays).
Via readings and exercises, the class investigates the "tricks and techniques" employed by a range of modern masters and apply these lessons to perfecting works in progress. Each week, you'll carefully read and critique classmate submissions, offering constructive feedback in an encouraging context. The course's lectures and discussions will tackle difficulties that writers of all skill levels face: fine-tuning characters and dramatic arcs; organizing scenes and chapters; refining the tone, diction, and rhythm of your prose; cultivating your unique voice; and much more.
Whatever your literary passions or favorite genres, this workshop will breathe new life into your narratives and lift your creative craftsmanship to a new level.
It is recommended that students complete Essentials of Creative Writing before taking this course.
CLICK HERE FOR FIRST REQUIRED BOOK
CLICK HERE FOR SECOND REQUIRED BOOK
Lesson 1: How to Begin
Lesson 2: Rules of the Road
Lesson 3: The Scenic Route: Making Scenes Sing
Lesson 4: Dramatic Arcs and Plot Structures
Lesson 5: Voice vs. Style
Lesson 6: Lyricism, Sound, and Sense
Learner OutcomesAfter completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss basic and advanced craft components of fiction and narrative nonfiction
- Identify and employ successful storytelling techniques common in contemporary literature
- Sharpen the syntax, pacing, and overall architecture of your narratives in progress
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of writing "rules" championed by well-known authors
- Give and receive constructive criticism in a respectful but rigorous workshop setting
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Creative Writing Certificate : Core Courses
Enroll Now - Select a section below
Required fields are indicated by .