Course DescriptionThe concept of "performance management" often conjures up negative thoughts for both managers and employees—poorly-timed developmental feedback, endless paperwork, and minimal net benefit. Good news: performance management is now evolving from a one-time, backward-looking annual appraisal to a performance development methodology emphasizing ongoing feedback and coaching. Learn how you can apply a simple model and powerful tools to drive employee engagement throughout the year, motivating staff members toward peak performance while mitigating potential legal risks. By taking these steps and utilizing best practices, the path to successfully building and retaining critical talent becomes much less stressful.
Lesson 1: Best Practices and Trends
- Contrast performance management and performance development
- Identify the expectations of young professionals, primarily ongoing feedback and coaching
- Discuss why so many companies, managers, and employees question the value they are receiving for the time invested in the performance management process
Lesson 2: Components of Performance Management
- Describe a successful model for performance management in any organization: plan, discuss, document, develop, recognize and reward
- Identify the elements of SMART goals and the importance of collaboratively developing measures
- Create a performance plan based on responsibilities, goals, and expectations
- Identify the key requirements of performance documentation
- Practice feedback and coaching on common performance scenarios
- Shift from managing to developing performance
- Focus on personalized recognition and rewards for optimal performance
Learner OutcomesAfter this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the best practices and current trends in performance management and the shift to "performance development"
- Describe a simple performance management model that will increase employee engagement, reduce legal risks, and help people do their best work
- Develop a plan for managing performance that will achieve desired objectives
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Essentials of Management Certificate : Core Courses
Required fields are indicated by .