This course is an elective in the Paralegal Certificate but may also be taken as a standalone course. This course is offered once per year.
An examination of the four major areas of intellectual property law: trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secret. Related topics including trade names, restrictive covenants and social media may be addressed. The course will provide students with a conceptual background and practical skills.
CLICK HERE FOR REQUIRED BOOK
After this class, you will be able to:
- Search, register and maintain trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Identify what a copyright is and what works may be copyrighted
- Obtain practical experience in registering a copyright with the Copyright Office
- Recognize what constitutes trademark, copyright and patent infringement
- Understand the different types of patents, how patents are granted, and what rights are protected
- Recognize what constitutes a trade secret and how to protect it
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Paralegal Certificate : Elective Courses